What is a Volunteer Hours Log Sheet
A volunteer hours log sheet is a structured record where volunteers can track the time they spend performing volunteer activities. This tool is valuable for both the volunteers and the organization they are serving. For the volunteers, it's a way to document their contributions and the skills they've developed. For the organizations, log sheets help measure the impact of the volunteer work and enable them to recognize the efforts of their volunteers.
What to Include on a Volunteer Hours Log Sheet
- Date: Each entry should specify the day when the volunteer work was performed.
- Volunteer's Name: The full name of the volunteer should be stated accurately to confirm their identity.
- Activity Description: A brief but informative description of the task or tasks performed during the volunteer period.
- Start and End Time: The exact time when the volunteer starts and concludes their service.
- Total Hours: Total duration in hours and minutes spent volunteering that day. Often, this will be the end time subtracted from the start time.
- Supervisor's Name: The name of the person overseeing the volunteer task, who can confirm the accuracy of the log and the completion of the task.
- Supervisor's Signature: The supervisor's signature serves as a validation of the hours logged.
How to Use a Volunteer Hours Log Sheet
Using a volunteer hours log sheet is straightforward but requires discipline to maintain accurate records. At the beginning of the volunteer activity, record the date and your name, along with a comprehensive but concise description of your planned tasks. At the end of your volunteer period, note down the exact end time.
Remember to calculate the total hours worked based on your start and end times, and write down this total in the appropriate field.
Once done with the task, present the log sheet to your supervisor for them to verify and sign. Ensuring your log is signed off on your log is critical as it verifies the accuracy of the information and can be used for future needs or references. It's best practice to keep your completed log sheets in a safe and organized place for easy retrieval when needed. Whether it's for gaining credit for volunteer work, building your resume, or tracking personal volunteer goals, a well-maintained volunteer hours log sheet is an invaluable tool.
Enhance your volunteering journey with our additional resource: The Volunteer Sign Up Sheet. This simple-to-use sheet is designed to streamline your volunteering process, making it efficient to track and manage volunteers' information.